Friday, September 24, 2004

More Retractions

Not a good day for some in the MSM, the Fort Worth Star Telegram had to make a retraction about their report that Bill Burkett claimed that Joe Lockhart "tried to convince [Burkett] to give them the documents."
This article has been corrected from the version published in the newspaper and online Friday morning to reflect that Bill Burkett was referring to conversations with CBS when he said, "They tried to convince me as to why I should give them the documents." The earlier version incorrectly reported that he had discussed the documents with Joe Lockhart of the Kerry campaign.
That must have hurt. Meanwhile, the writer of John Kerry's bio fired off a press release that said The New York Times messed up his quote in their piece:
Author and historian, Douglas Brinkley, issued the following statement to correct a report by the New York Times today:

"A story in the September 24 New York Times leaves the false impression that I think John Kerry was not 'the war hero we thought he was.' Nothing could be further from the truth. He was a great American fighting man in Vietnam and deserved all of his medals. Over the past year I have vigorously defended Kerry's military record and will continue to do so.

"My comment was meant to be about the political consequences of the anti-Kerry Swift boat attacks vs. the anti-Bush National Guard ones. I was speaking about public perceptions not my personal beliefs."

Haven't seen a retraction from the Times yet. If anybody spots it, let me know so I can post it. At least the Star-Telegram didn't take two weeks to admit their mistake like some major television networks we know.