Recap on Ben Barnes, other attacks
Attack: Ben Barnes was interviewed by CBS's Dan Rather on Wednesday, September 8 and claimed that he engineered George W. Bush's National Guard entry.
Fallout: The credibility of this "witness" is of no apparent concern to Dan Rather and CBS. Recall that Barnes:
- testified under oath in 1999 that the Bush family did not ask for any special treatment
- is a major Democratic fundraiser (type Barnes, Ben in the search field)
- was called the "51st Democratic Senator" by Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle (free registration required)
- was charged by his own daughter with making his recent comments for "purely political reasons"
- was chased from office for his involvement in the Sharpstown stock fRaud scandal
Actual news organizations might have questioned whether such a serious charge made by a man with severe conflicts-of-interest would warrant an entire segment managed by its top on-air talent. CBS did not. Additionally, the LA Times investigated this story 5 years ago and found no evidence of any wrongdoing.
Read the whole thing.