Monday, September 13, 2004

Climate of Fear

You always hear about the "climate of fear" when liberals talk about President Bush and the Patriot Act...but there is another one which some have experienced that is starting to emerge:
Many Republicans are afraid to put Bush-Cheney bumper stickers on their cars or signs on their lawns because they are afraid of physical retaliation from angry liberals.
It is not just that one sees few Bush-Cheney bumper stickers and lawn signs - even in areas in which one knows his support is high. I do not have such a bumper sticker or lawn sign. In fact, most Bush supporters I have asked, even those who are fairly passionate on the topic, just don't think the risk of a key-scratch or broken home or car window, or much worse, is worth whatever benefit one receives from a partisan bumper sticker or lawn sign. There are just too many personal stories of cars and homes defaced and damaged.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. I have a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker as well as "Proud Parent of a U.S. Marine" on my car. I caught a dread-locked little punk trying to rip them off as I came out of the supermarket. I am a 51 year old Mom and he was a 20ish Punk. I kicked his ass (literally) and he ran off, calling me a "bitch"....kinda like a metaphor for the campaign...I like to think.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home